Tuesday, February 16, 2010

VETS CASTILLA, SANDOVAL HOPE TO BE BACK WITH NARANJEROS NEXT WINTER

Veteran infielders Vinny Castilla and Jose Luis Sandoval both say they’d like to come back to play another season with the Mexican Pacific League champion Hermosillo Naranjeros.

The 42-year-old Castilla, who hit .292 with seven homers in 30 regular season games at third base for Hermosillo, says, “I’d love to return next season, but my body is going to say whether I can. Baseball is my passion and my life, and when I’m on the field, I’m happy.” Castilla retired from the big leagues after the 2006 season, and currently works in the Colorado Rockies front office.

Sandoval (pictured) has played shortstop for 19 winters in Hermosillo, batting .236 in 62 games this past season after hitting .298 for the Mexico City Diablos Rojos last summer. Sandoval says he wants to retire with the Naranjeros, and that if he avoids injury and plays well for the Diablos this year, he’ll hopefully be back wearing an orange jersey in October.
Both Castilla and Sandoval indicated they’d be interested in managing Hermosillo after their playing days are over.

No comments: